Mike’s son Andrew informed MCS that his father died. Andrew provided the following obituary:

Mike was born and brought up in Fleetwood, Lancashire, by his mother and grandmother. He arrived at MCS in 1935 aged 12. His early days at school were marred by homesickness but he quickly made many good friends whose families lived closer to Oxford than his own and he spent happy weekends with them. His best friend was John (Mac) McGivering who now lives in Hove.

Mike was a keen tennis player. He also enjoyed hockey for which he bore the scar of an errant hockey stick having firmly connected with his nose! Although he was not a great academic achiever at school, he developed a great love of English literature and, especially, poetry. Throughout his life he has been an avid reader and, when the mood inspired him, he would write short pieces of poetry reflecting special or difficult moments in his life.

In 1940 he left MCS with an ambition to follow in the footsteps of his uncle who had served in the First World War in the 7th Battalion, South Lancashire Regiment, and been awarded the Military Cross. In 1941 he volunteered to join the Territorial Army and was sent to Carlisle for basic training. Unfortunately, he was discharged after only six weeks on medical grounds – he has suffered from agoraphobia throughout his life. Having left the army, Mike joined the Liverpool London and Globe Insurance Company in Blackpool (now part of RSA). However, from an early age Mike was fascinated by all things mechanical, and life in an office did not suit him. In August 1943 he entered into a deed of apprenticeship as a motor mechanic with the largest motor dealer in Fleetwood. He clearly excelled in this role and it was not long before he was promoted to the sales team.

In 1951 he married his first wife Joan with whom he had two sons, Andrew and Simon. In 1953 his father-in-law helped him to set up his own motor business and shortly afterwards this became the first Ford dealership in the town. The business grew and flourished and occupied him throughout the remainder of his working life. His marriage to Joan came to an end in 1962 and in 1988 he married Wendy.

His great passion in his retirement was his garden which he turned into a haven of peace and tranquillity. The specialities for which he was noted amongst his friends were his sweet peas and tomatoes. His first visit back to Oxford was in about 1971 for an Old Waynfletes’ weekend and since then he has been able to make several other visits. His favourite place at the school has always been the Bridge and there are many photographs of him there in his archives.

Mike died on 11 July 2013 following a brief illness, aged 89. He is survived by his current wife Wendy and his two sons from his first marriage.