The 11+ Entrance Examination (and Pretest for prep school candidates) is held at the school in the January preceding entry in September.
There are four tests:
- Verbal Reasoning
- Maths, based on the National Curriculum Year 5 Programme of Study plus the following
topics from the Year 6 programme of study:
- divide numbers up to 4 digits by a two-digit number using a formal written method, interpreting remainders according to the context
- identify common factors, common multiples and prime numbers
- solve problems involving the calculation of percentages [for example, of measures, and such as 15% of 360]
- calculate the area of triangles and compound shapes made of rectangles and triangles
- find unknown angles in any triangle or quadrilaterals
- calculate and interpret the mean as an average
- an English Composition (a fiction and non-fiction essay)
- and (for the majority of candidates) an interview.
Candidates are invited back for interview on the basis of their performance in the entry tests. They will be asked to read and comment on a short passage and to bring in an object to talk about. The interview lasts about 30 minutes.
Click here for further information regarding the 11+ admission process. A sample Mathematics paper is available here (see above for further information on topics covered), and a sample English paper is available here.
What should I do if I have a question?
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the Registrar at any stage of the admissions and applications process (01865 253430).
Please click here for a Registration Form.